1.-20. sorularda, cümlede boş bırakılan yerlere uygun düşen sözcük ya da ifadeyi bulunuz.
- Joseph is only an acquaintance of mine, so I don’t know him __________ to ask him for money.
- Except for __________ tiger, __________ lion is the largest member of the cat family.
- People __________ are always tense, like Robert, __________ the accountant in our firm, are likely to suffer from high blood pressure or heart disease.
- Stop __________ such insulting remarks to everybody all the time; it is gaining you nothing but dislike.
- The rice I ordered at the restaurant was __________ I just couldn’t manage to eat it.
- "Rainman" __________ by many critics the best of all Barry Levinson __________ so far.
- __________ the efforts by the government and environmentalists, our beaches are cleaner now than they were a decade ago.
- When you first go into the water, it seems too cold to swim in, but you soon __________ it.
- Spiders learn more about the world around them by __________ vibrations than they learn from __________ their eyes.
- There was __________ fascinating poster for the film that we just wanted to go and see it.
- With an area of 1,540,680 square kilometres, Quebec is twice __________ Texas.
- The Bermuda Triangle is a region in the western part of the North Atlantic Ocean, where a number of aircraft and ships are said to __________ under mysterious circumstances.
- The fires spread quickly throughout the city __________ the fire brigade was unable to react __________ the debris in the streets.
- Let’s __________ a cake __________ for the wedding; I think it is better than trying to make one ourselves.
- In order to deter thieves, the warehouse manager has two fierce guard dogs __________ the fence.
- I __________ the file to the boss when I __________ checking today’s accounts.
- One of the goals of the pianist is to __________ more people __________ Mozart’s later works.
- While they may look and act more grown-up, __________ children can sometimes exhibit younger, even immature behaviour.
- __________ earthquakes that occur underwater may cause damage to __________ people by creating giant waves at sea.
- Montreal is reported __________ the most ethnically mixed population in the world.
21.-30. sorularda, verilen cümleye anlamca en yakın olan seçeneği bulunuz.
- I wouldn’t have got out of control if he hadn’t used insulting language to me.
- Her paintings are quite lovely, but still, she hasn't sold a lot of them.
- I don't mind letting him borrow my DVDs, providing that he promises to be careful with them.
- Most of the river ferries have been cancelled today due to the lack of visibility caused by the fog.
- Though once quite fatal, the threat of pneumonia has been greatly reduced as a result of antibiotic treatment.
- British mystery writer Phyllis James White never received a rejection slip from any publishers for any of her novels.
- The eradication of snakes by humans has resulted in an abrupt rise in rodent populations in certain areas.
- Nepal has the highest potential per capita water resources in the world, yet it is unable to provide a reliable water supply to its capital.
- Peter was amazed at being turned down for the job because of the fact that he was overqualified.
- If only she had saved more money, she would be able to visit Italy again next summer.
31.-40. sorularda, verilen cümleyi uygun şekilde tamamlayan ifadeyi bulunuz.
- ___________, all of which could not help but lead to a heart attack.
- _____________; otherwise, we would be worrying about our safety.
- Since there has been no signal from the Mars probe, ______________.
- As he could not himself afford to pay for his wife's operation, _____________.
- _____________ after he had been criticized in a government report.
- ______________, which is officially part of India but has a majority Muslim population.
- Considering how expensive the area is, ___________.
- ___________, relatively few are aware he had a twin brother, Aaron, who died at birth.
- _____________, but we've still got to fire him anyway.
- Quite different from Chicago, which has retained many of its historic 19th-century buildings, __________.
41.-45. sorularda, karşılıklı konuşmanın boş bırakılan kısmını tamamlayabilecek ifadeyi bulunuz.
- A: They're serving fish in the canteen; would you like to come?
A: Oh. What kind was it?
B: Fried bonito.
- A: What did that woman in the shop say to you?
A: No, not a word of it.
B: Oh. Well, anyway, all she said was "Thank you".
- A: Have you heard of Allen Lane?
B: Do you mean the founder of Penguin Books?
B: Oh! Yes, I know it__there's a good movie theater there.
- A: Where were you at 3 o'clock yesterday?
B: I was at the swimming pool.
B: No, they actually changed that rule a couple of weeks ago.
- A: What's that burning smell?
B: Oh no! I'd forgotten that there was a stew on the stove.
B: Then I guess we'll have to go out and get something else to eat.
46.-50. sorularda, aşağıdaki parçada numaralanmış yerlere uygun düşen sözcük ya da ifadeyi bulunuz.
Legend differs (46) ____________ myth in one basic way: it (47) ____________ by both teller and listener to be a part of human history. (48) ___________ characters are human and (49) _____________ they do is usually more or less "possible". Myth, on the other hand, deals with the actions of gods and heroes and takes place in a largely imaginary time long ago. (50) _________, myth usually has a connection to the religious and/or spiritual life of people.
51.-60. sorularda, cümlede boş bırakılan yere uygun düşen sözcüğü bulunuz.
- The sound of construction outside her window ___________ Lisa so much that she couldn't concentrate.
- When Mark had nowhere to live, his friend Sally ___________ let him stay at her house till he could find a place of his own.
- Pandas pretty much __________ bamboo shoots, but they sometimes consume honey, eggs, fish, or yams as well.
- When we asked for volunteers, she _______ stepped forward and offered her help without any hesitation.
- The ________ clue, which the detective failed to notice, was the word "butler" written in the victim's own blood on the wall.
- To cure the aggressiveness in a child, parents are advised to show great _______ rather than give punishments.
- She plays the piano _______ well, considering she is only 8 years old.
- My mother usually buys whole, coffee beans and _______ them herself, because she thinks the coffee tastes fresher that way.
- My plans to study hard for my upcoming exam were disturbed by the _______ involved in moving house.
- People used to live in those old houses, but they have become ruins and are no longer ___________.
61.-65. sorularda, boş bırakılan yere parçanın anlam bütünlüğünü sağlamak için getirilebilecek cümleyi bulunuz.
- Forrest Gump is the fictional hero and narrator of both the novel and the film “Forrest Gump”. However, he is quite a different character in these two versions of the story. ____________. The film, on the other hand, shows him much simpler, as little more than a nice man with an extra-ordinary life.
- The moment I shut the door. I realized my mistake: the keys were inside. ___________. In fact, I'm such a forgetful person in this regard that the local locksmith has become a close friend of mine. Nonetheless, I felt very embarrassed as I started walking towards his shop once again.
- “The Eight” was a group of American artists that formed in 1908 in New York City. They got together only once, in order to be able to exhibit their paintings. Actually, it is a bit surprising that they ever got together at all. _____________. Their common ground, however, was their opposition to the academic art of the time.
- “Kıraathanes” are not quite what they used to be. At first, they were "reading houses"__a literal translation of kıraathane. Writers and intellectuals would gather there to read and to discuss literature, and sometimes to play chess. ______________. Chess, too, is rarely seen there, as games like okey and backgammon are much more popular.
- As compared with dogs, the domesticated horse has been a part of human life for a fairly brief period of time. Nonetheless, due to the latter's ability to be ridden and cover great distances fairly quickly, it has arguably had a much greater effect on human history. Before its domestication about 5,000 years ago, though, the wild horse seemed to serve another important purpose: ______________.
66.-70. sorularda, cümleler sırasıyla okunduğunda parçanın anlam bütünlüğünü bozan cümleyi bulunuz.
- (I) Tattoos have recently increased in popularity in many parts of the world. (II) This growth has led to a number of new artists entering the industry. (III) Many of them have technical and fine arts training. (IV) "Fine arts" are those arts that are primarily concerned with beauty.
- (I) The Palio di Siena is a horse race held each year in the city of Siena, Italy. (II) Siena's well-preserved medieval streets and piazzas make it one of the most appealing towns in Tuscany. (III) Though it attracts huge crowds and is widely televised, the event is not without controversy. (IV) There have, for instance, been many complaints about the treatment of the horses.
- (I) The name of the insect called the millipede literally means "one thousand feet". (II) Despite its name, however, it doesn't actually have one thousand legs. (III) Most species have only between 80 and 400 of them. (IV) They are rather slow creatures, but are good at burrowing into the ground.
- (I) On 16 July 1999, at the age of 38, John F. Kennedy, Jr. was killed, along with his wife and sister-in-law. (II) Their deaths occurred when the aircraft that Kennedy was piloting crashed into the Atlantic Ocean on a hazy night. (III) Both haze and darkness can be dangerous elements to inexperienced pilots. (IV) The three were travelling from New Jersey to Martha's Vineyard.
- (I) In jewellery, the value of pearls is technically determined by a number of different factors. (II) Among these are lustre, colour, size, smoothness of surface, and symmetry. (III) Pearls are usually white, but may be tinted with pink, yellow, green, blue, brown, purple, or black. (IV) As a general rule, however, the last three are the most important.
71.-75. soruları aşağıdaki parçaya göre cevaplayınız.
Karl Benz was a German engine designer and auto engineer generally regarded as the inventor of the petrol-powered automobile. Other German contemporaries also worked independently on the same type of invention, but Benz was the first to patent his work, in 1879. In 1885, he created the Motorwagen, the first commercial automobile powered by a gasoline engine. IT had three wheels and was steered by the front wheel; the passengers and engine were supported by the two in the back. Some now refer to this as the Tri-Car. Benz also FOUNDED the Benz Company, the forerunner of today's Daimler-Benz, Mercedes-Benz, and DaimlerChrysler. Before dying, Benz witnessed the 1920s explosion in automobile use that occurred largely thanks to his work.
- “IT” refers to ____________.
- The word “FOUNDED” is closest in meaning to _________.
- According to the passage, Karl Benz ____________.
- We understand from the passage that the Motorwagen was ___________.
- As is implied in the passage, Karl Benz _____________.
76.-80. soruları aşağıdaki parçaya göre cevaplayınız.
In Maine in the winter of 1873, 15-year-old Chester Greenwood went to a pond to do some ice skating. The air was freezing, and so he soon went back home to ask his grandmother for help in making something to SHIELD his ears. He couldn't wear the standard wool mufflers of the time, because wool gave him an ear rash. The new device didn't take much time to put together. Chester supplied the idea and the material, while his grandmother contributed the sewing skills. Some wire was bent and attached to wool ear covers, which then had a soft insulating fabric placed inside THEM and sewn on. Soon, Chester was distributing his "Greenwood Champion Ear Protector" all around Maine: it had become an instant hit. Still, he continued to make improvements in it. When he was 18, he was finally satisfied, and got a patent for his "ear muffs".
- The word “SHIELD” is closest in meaning to ________.
- “THEM” refers to _________.
- According to the passage, the invention of ear muffs came about because _________.
- It is clear from the passage that the "Greenwood Champion Ear Protector" _________.
- It is implied in the passage that Chester Greenwood was __________.